About Us

Saturday, January 27, 2007

it's a bird, it's a plane, no it's a bald eagle

while DH and I were driving back from Illinois this afternoon over the Jefferson Barracks Bridge, I happened to look north along the east side of the Mississippi river and said to DH.. WOW.. I see a Bald Eagle.. WOW.. Just then a Semi blocked my view. I then turned around and looked back at the river bank along the Illinois side and saw the majestic creature beautifully coasting in the breezes over the riverbank looking for prey swimming in the murkey waters of one of the great rivers in the USA. This is only the second time I have ever seen a bald eagle soaring in our area of St. Louis in the winter months. I know, I have never been to Alton, IL to go eagle watching.. shame on me. BUT I can say without a doubt that I have a fondness for birds of prey like this. I am lucky enough to be able to spot several red-tailed hawks in my neighborhood and along the route of hwy 40/64 west to Mason. These creatures love to hunt small prey like rabbits, squirrels, mice, rats, etc... I see them purched upon light polls in front of my house and along hwy 40/64. They tend to be out there early morning around 8:15 or so and then I am lucky to see one flying over the highway in the afternoon around Lindbergh and 40/64. I always say a prayer to keep these birdies safe and strong hunters. We have run them out of our towns many times and yet they strive to survive in the cities and local counties. I love it. We are blessed to be able to see such simple wonders of nature. Oh.. one more sighting of a beautiful creature was that of a white large winged owl in my neighborhood about 2 weeks ago. I had been outside in the backyard with the doggies and heard the hoot of the owl many time around 9 pm. I then went back out with the dogs about 2 hours later and heard the hoot and then saw the large owl fly over my house to a huge tree about 2 blocks north of my house. I love seeing this in the City. I live between Wilmore park and Carondelet Park so we see a few birds and a few gournd creatures roaming our area. Heck, on year we had a female and male duck land in our pool while we had the cover on. LOL

No comments: